Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eureka Moment # 3

This week, I have had so many Eureka moments that I just can't figure out what to post! Last Sunday, I had a BBQ with some friends and realized something new about myself- that I hadn't really paid attention to. I was being accomidating, which I feel a host should do when they have people over. I was running around, making sure everyone had a beverage or enough food, and everyone was saying "Wow, you are the best house wife!" or "Wow, you're really a great home maker" and comments like that. This is when I realized- am I just going to fulfill society's desire for me to fit the mold of a house wife? Honestly, when I think about where I will be in 10-15 years, I do see myself being able to live comfortably at home with my children, taking care of them, being there for them when they need me if they're sick, having trouble in school, I want to be able to be there for them when something is wrong. I see myself cooking dinner for my boyfriend Walter (...husband) who would come home from working and making enough to support us. But what I'm curious about is if my desire to do so is embedded in me through what pressure society has put on me. Growing up, my mom was a teacher in NYC which is about an hour commute from my house, so while she had off on the summers, I was home alone after school for about an hour an a half from the time that I was really young. So I think that when I think about my child hood, I sometimes wished my mom didn't have to work when I was so young because I know it made her sad and I felt lonely at times. So, having the financial stability to be a "stay at home mom" to me would be my desired life path. I'm not saying that I don't want to have a successful career- I just know that when I have my family I would like to dedicate myself to that as much as possible. Is this something that I desire or something that society has pushed on me as the best choice?

1 comment:

  1. Shaina, I feel your pain! It's very hard in this world we live in to understand if we as women are being caretakers because we throughly enjoy the rewarding ecperience of taking care of family, or because society has put this idea in our head that this is where we should be. It's confusing at times to be yourself if that mean helping and taking care of others yet still feel liberated and independent.It's like the two things can't exist together. This has been an ongoing problem for women and I wish I could help you find an answer. All I can say is be yourself, whoever that may be. Ans whether your labeled independent or whatever doesn't matter. I have a full household (boyfirend, 2 kids, and a dog!)I take of all by myself so when I get looks from friends because I dish my boyfirend's plate I think Oh well! I'd like to see them do what I do in one day!!

    ReplyDelete