Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eureka Moment Week 5

Camp started for me this week as an assistant counselor. I am working with 3 year olds, they're really adorable. This setting creates endless Erueka moments for me because the children are constantly doing things that either make or break the Gender stereotype roles that it is obvious that their parents do not try to avoid at all. What specifically struck me is the way almost all mommy's are available to pick up their children and drop them off, that the classroom is full of mommys at the beginning of the day, and it's no suprise that the children rarely cry for "daddy" while theyre too busy worrying about "mommy" leaving them in the new, strange, but exciting enviornment we create for them at camp. One thing that stands out to me is a father who has taken the path of caring for the children while their mother works. This stands out because at times he is the only male in the building and dropping the kids off for him seems a little uncomfortable, like he is embaressed to do so. I also notice the difference in how the children react to saying "good-bye" to him in the morning, it is as if it is more casual to say good - bye to Daddy than it is for mommy. These kids rarely ask for their mothers, as well. I think it is wonderful that at least one of the parents is able to spend the day with the children, and I admit that I do not know their exact situation, however, there is no denying the certain thoughts and side conversations that take place at times when he's the only 'daddy' in a classroom full of cries for 'mommy.'

3 comments:

  1. This is a interesting point that you have come to notice. AS you see many times you are right it's always the mother taking the children all over creation. I worked in a after school program and I think back now to if I ever recalling any dad's coming to pick the kids up. Nor do I even remember the dad being the emergency contact number! Also don't you notice every time you walk into a daycare it's always women working there? I rarely every see a man working in one. Is it because women have that mother instinct and feeling that the kids feel more drawn too? It's questions that I wonder now too. Women I think just always have the motherly instincts and bonds that these are the roles they just pick up on when they have children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaina,

    Camp with the little one's is a great way to spend your summer because they seem to keep you amused by the incredible words they use and the different things they do. You spoke of the responsibility of the parents which is usally a given. I say that because gender roles that have already been established usually dictates your position in life, especially in Mother, Father roles which leads us to our identities. The Motherly instincts you speak of is inherited to women at birth,the day she was born a female. A women's nurturing spirit and personal knowledge about the opposite sex allows her to fulfill her expected role.
    Because women take care of the personal needs of the child that responsibility even extends to the childs classroom at school.Taking kids to school just isn't masculine enough for a man, even when the child belong to him. I have a perfect example of gendered roles in parenting.
    My brother has two sons, a 3 year old and a 1 year old. One morning the 1 year old woke up calling daddy, daddy and the 3 year old heard him calling for his dad. The 3 year old said, no don't call daddy he won't come call mommy,then the 1 year started calling mommy, mommy. This is a perfect example of the expected gendered roles that people play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat that you're paying attention to what seems like a small detail but really reveals a lot about who may be the primary caretaker of the family! I also was a camp counselor and remember feeling awkward myself when a father dropped off his son, and I remember a young camper feeling out of place and awkward himself when every other camper was swarmed with their mother. That is interesting that it would make us feel uncomfortable, when men go against the gender role of not being caretakers of their children! I have become close with a family that defies gender roles completely where both parents are equally as affectionate and talkative to their children, as well as active in their lives. They seem to have a level of happiness that I would love to attain someday.

    ReplyDelete